xStarter stops functioning

Each program have bugs, xStarter is not exception :).
hunterj

xStarter stops functioning

Postby hunterj » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:25 pm

We have xStarter installed as a windows service on a Windows 2003 Standard Edition server. From time to time xStarter seems to stop functioning even though the service is still running. When I log on to the server the taskbar icon is missing and I can see from task Manager that xStartUI,exe is no longer running. When I try to stop xStarter and restart the service, I find that xStarter won't stop from the services control panel. I have to end the process in task manager to regain control. There doesn't appear to be any regularity around this. xStarter can be running for weeks without problem and then fail two or three times in a matter of days, before continuing again without problem for another few weeks. Has anyone experienced anything similar and if so is the cause known please? Thanks.

Alex
Site Admin

Re: xStarter stops functioning

Postby Alex » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:08 pm

Hello,

Do you have most tasks working by events or by scheduler system? What tasks stop working?

hunterj

Postby hunterj » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:19 pm

It's the events one that brings the issue to our attention. Having said that, we've never left the system to run to see if any scheduled tasks still work. Would you like a copy of the event task we are running?

Alex
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:37 pm

Yes, if it's possible, I would like to have a copy of this task.
Additionally, what xStarter version do you have installed?

hunterj

Postby hunterj » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:35 pm

We're running version 1.9.1.115

I've sent a copy of the task by email.

Alex
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:10 pm

Hi John,

Just received your task. It looks well, I have only 2 comments:
1. Actions RunProcess6, RunProcess7 and RunProcess8 pass long pathnames via parameters. How you think, maybe add quotes at the beginning of the path and at the end? Of course if it works well maybe it don't need quotes...
2. Task have enabled parameter "Don't run task again if already running". In this case then you are trying to start task again at the end (action "RunTask1") - it will not start. But this can be the case why it freeze. Maybe... Can you try to work without this action? In any case task will be started after monitoring period of time.

hunterj

Postby hunterj » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:28 pm

I think the idea of encompassing long pathnames in quotes is a good idea and I'll update this task accordingly, as this looks like good practice.

The last process (to run the task again) was put in because the action was not restarting after a period as we had expected. We assumed this was because the task is not monitoring while it is running, and because the file is already there when the task starts monitoring again, it doesn't see any change to initiate the task. Is there some other way to re-run the task other than the way we have tried please? Perhaps some sort of a loop to go back to the start under the condition we're looking for?

Alex
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:09 am

You can modify task to start periodically, e.g. each 20 seconds. In the task beginning move FileExist1 and if FileExist1.Success<>True then TaskExit. If you will check file existence manually - you don't need file monitor event.

hunterj

Postby hunterj » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:44 am

Thank you. Hopefully that will reslove the issue.

Return to “Bug reports”